Privacy of personal information is important to Domus Student Housing Inc.. We are committed to collecting, using and disclosing personal information responsibly and only to the extent necessary for the premises, goods and services we provide. We also try to be open and transparent as to how we handle personal information. This document describes our privacy policies. We collect personal information on behalf of ourselves and the owners whose properties we manage. In this policy, when we use the terms “we”, “our”, and “us”, the intention is to refer collectively to ourselves and our clients.
As of January 1st, 2004, all Canadian organizations engaged in commercial activities must comply with the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (“PIPEDA”) and the Canadian Standards Association Model Code for the Protection of Personal Information incorporated by reference into PIPEDA. These obligations extend to property management companies, including us.
Why We Collect Your Information
We will collect your personal information for any of the following purposes:
- To identify and communicate with you
- To establish eligibility for tenancy
- To assess creditworthiness
- To process payments
- To enable us to respond to emergency situations
- To ensure the orderly management of all rental properties entrusted to our care
- To coordinate and communicate with contractors
- To coordinate and communicate with future or potential roommates or tenants
- To comply with all relevant legislation
We Will Obtain Your Permission
Except where authorized or required by law, we will not collect, use or disclose your personal information unless you have provided us with your consent. We will only request the information that we need for the purposes that we have identified to you. You may withdraw your consent to our collection, use or disclosure of your personal information upon receipt of reasonable and written notice. However, contractual or legal restrictions may override any such request.
How We Protect Your Information
We understand the importance of protecting personal information. For that reason, we have taken the following steps:
- Paper information is either under supervision or secured in a locked or restricted area.
- Electronic hardware is either under supervision or secured in a locked or restricted area at all times. In addition, passwords are used on computers. All of our cell phones are digital, which signals are more difficult to intercept (however, we still are careful on cell phones because sometimes they switch over to an analog service).
- Paper information is transmitted through sealed, addressed envelopes or boxes by reputable companies.
Your Right of Access to Your Personal Information
You may request access to your personal information by contacting our Office. You also have the right to know:
- The methods by which we collected the information
- The purposes for which we are using the information, and
- To whom the information has been disclosed
Any request that you make should be sufficiently detailed so that we may properly respond to your request. When you make a request, we will insist upon verification of your identity, either by photograph or signature.
When providing your personal information, we will edit certain information as required or authorized by law, including the personal information of other individuals, information that may be subject to investigation, as well as any confidential commercial information. If you believe that any of the information that we have collected about you is inaccurate or incomplete you have the right to ask us to change it. If you feel that we have not dealt with your request to your satisfaction, you are free to follow our complaint resolution process.
How to Register a Complaint
You may register a privacy related complaint by contacting Ho Tek of Domus Student Housing Inc. or the Office Manager. At that time, the Manager will review our complaint procedure and will investigate all complaints. If a complaint proves to be justified, we will take immediate and appropriate action.
To request access to your personal information, to register a privacy related complaint, or if you should have any questions regarding our Privacy Code or practices, please contact our Office in writing:
DOMUS STUDENT HOUSING INC.
RE: PRIVACY INQUIREIS
295 WEBER STREET NORTH, SUITE 7